A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING has been issued for people on Nicholson Road between Swamp Road and Oxley Road in Forrestdale in the City of Armadale.
• You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive. There is a threat to lives and homes.
• There are several fires burning in the area.
• The bushfires are moving fast in a south-westerly direction.
• They are out of control and unpredictable.
• Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home. Spot fires are starting ahead of the fires.
WHAT TO DO:
• If the way is clear, leave now for a safer place.
• Do not wait and see, leaving at the last minute is deadly.
• There may be ember attack ahead of the fire, so close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
• If your plan is to stay and actively defend, do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. If you have access to a water tank and plan to defend your home, start patrolling with your hose and put out spot fires.
• If you cannot leave, you need to get ready to shelter in your home and actively defend it.
• If you are not at home, it is too dangerous now to return.
• Your safest option may be to visit family or friends who live away from the area.
• If you live in Nicholson Road leave in a southerly direction towards Rowley Road.
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people on Nicholson Road, between Armadale Road and Seamp Road, and between Oxley Road and Rowley Road, in Forrestdale in the City of Armadale.
• There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching the area and conditions are changing.
• You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
• If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
• If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
• Do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. If you have access to a water tank and plan to defend your home, start patrolling with your hose and put out spot fires.
• If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in surrounding areas of Piara Waters and Forrestdale.
• Although there is no immediate danger for people in these areas you need to be aware and keep up to date.
• Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
• Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
• Read through your bushfire survival plan.
• If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site.
Nicholson Road is closed from Armadale Road to Rowley Road.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• Firefighters are protecting properties and actively fighting the fire.
• Aerial support has been sent to assist ground crews.
• The cause of the fires is lightning.
• DFES is managing the fires.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.dfes.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter @dfes_wa, listen to ABC local radio, 6PR or news bulletins.
Updates will be provided every hour unless the situation changes.
The specified alert has expired and is no longer active.
A new alert may have been issued for this incident.
Please visit the Alerts and Warnings page for the latest information.
Disclaimer | Privacy | FOI | Copyright | Contact Us
© 2016 Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.