*Please note changes throughout
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT remains for people west of Brand Highway, between Meadows Road and Wongonderrah Road to the coast, including the Wedge Island Settlement, in the Shire of Dandaragan.
This includes people camping at Grey Settlement and on beaches north and south of Wedge Island.
This does not include Brand Highway.
• The alert level for this fire remains at Watch and Act due to strong and unpredictable wind conditions.
• There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching the area and conditions are changing.
• You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
• The fire is burning in inaccessible terrain east of Indian Ocean Drive and north of Meadows Road.
• The bushfire is moving fast in a northerly direction.
• It is out of control and unpredictable.
• Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home.
WHAT TO DO:
• If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
• There could be ember attack ahead of the fire, so close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
• If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
• Do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. If you have access to a water tank and plan to defend your home, start patrolling with your hose and put out spot fires.
• If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
• Your safest option may be to visit family or friends who live away from the area.
• If you live in the Wedge Island area leave via Wedge Island Road then head north on Indian Ocean Drive.
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site
A number of roads have been closed including:
• Indian Ocean Drive is closed, in both directions, between Lancelin and Cervantes
• Mimegarra Road north of Meadows Road
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au
The following sites are closed:
• Nambung National Park
• Wanagarren Nature Reserve
• Wedge Reserve
• Grey Reserve
People are urged to avoid the area, follow the advice of Parks and Wildlife and emergency services staff and observe signage. People already in the area should leave for a safer place.
The department will provide an update when sites have been re-opened.
For more information, contact the Parks and Wildlife Jurien Bay office on 9688 6000.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• Firefighters are protecting assets and monitoring containment lines.
• The incident was reported at 7.59pm on 26 January 2016.
• Approximately 35,000 hectares have been burnt.
• The cause of the fire is lightning.
• The Shire of Dandaragan is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.dfes.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter @dfes_wa, listen to ABC local radio, or news bulletins.
Updates will be provided every two hours unless the situation changes.
The specified alert has expired and is no longer active.
A new alert may have been issued for this incident.
Please visit the Alerts and Warnings page for the latest information.
Disclaimer | Privacy | FOI | Copyright | Contact Us
© 2016 Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.