*Please note changes to Alert Level as Wedge is now a part of the WATCH AND ACT area.
* Please note changes throughout.
*Wedge residents need to be aware that the fire has jumped Indian Ocean Drive and is now approximately 3km north of Wedge Island Road.
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT remains for people west of Brand Highway, between Meadows Road and Wongonderrah Road to the coast, including the Grey Settlement, Wedge Island and surrounding areas, in the Shire of Dandaragan.
This does not include Brand Highway.
• The fire has been downgraded because firefighting efforts have reduced the risk to Wedge Island.
• Wedge Island residents need to be aware that parts of the fire have jumped Indian Ocean Drive just south of Grey, and is now approximately 3km north of Wedge Island Road.
• The main fire is currently burning in inaccessible terrain approximately 2 kilometres east of Indian Ocean Drive and north of Meadows Road and is heading towards Indian Ocean Drive.
• The fire is moving in variable directions.
• It is out of control and unpredictable.
• Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home.
• There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching the area and conditions are changing.
• You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
WHAT TO DO:
• If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
• If you cannot leave, move to the beach and prepare to shelter in the water.
• There is ember attack ahead of the fire, so close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
• It is not safe to stay and defend your home, your best chance for survival is to leave now.
• Do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. If you have access to a water tank and plan to defend your home, start patrolling with your hose and put out spot fires.
• If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
• Your safest option may be to visit family or friends who live away from the area.
• If are in Wedge Island you need to leave via Wedge Island Road to Indian Ocean Drive, then proceed south to Lancelin.
• If you are in Grey leave via Indian Ocean Drive in a northerly direction.
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
• Indian Ocean Drive is closed, in both directions, between Lancelin and Cervantes
• Mimegarra Road north of Meadows Road
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au.
The following sites are closed:
• Nambung National Park
• Wanagarren Nature Reserve
• Wedge Reserve
• Grey Reserve
People are urged to avoid the area, follow the advice of Parks and Wildlife and emergency services staff and observe signage. People already in the area should leave for a safer place.The department will provide an update when sites have been re-opened.
For more information, contact the Parks and Wildlife Jurien Bay office on 9688 6000.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• Approximately 90 Bush Fire Service and Parks and Wildlife firefighters are on scene protecting homes and infrastructure in the Wedge Island and Grey Settlements and strengthening containment lines.
• Firefighters have saved a farm property, outbuildings and road infrastructure.
• Aerial support is assisting ground crews.
• The incident was reported at 7.59pm on 26 January 2016.
• Approximately 17,400 hectares have been burnt.
• The cause of the fire is lightning.
• Telephone text and voice messages have been issued.
• DFES is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.dfes.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter @dfes_wa, listen to ABC local radio or news bulletins.
Updates will be provided every two hours unless the situation changes.
The specified alert has expired and is no longer active.
A new alert may have been issued for this incident.
Please visit the Alerts and Warnings page for the latest information.
Disclaimer | Privacy | FOI | Copyright | Contact Us
© 2016 Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.