*No change to previous alert. Firefighters are conducting pocket burning which may generate smoke in the area.
The following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES).
Bushfire ADVICE for John Tognela Rest Area on Forrest Highway, east of Lake Clifton in the Shire of Waroona
A bushfire ADVICE remains for people in an area bounded by Codsford Road, Old Bunbury Road (off Dorsett Road), Southern Estuary Road, Forrest Highway and Kooljerrenup Nature Reserve, near John Tognela Rest Area on Forrest Highway, east of Lake Clifton in the Shire of Waroona.
• There is no threat to lives or homes but there is smoke in the area.
• Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
• The fire burning is between Forrest Highway and Old Bunbury Road, on the western side of Forrest Highway.
• Firefighters will be burning unburnt pockets which may generate smoke in the area.
• Smoke may impact people travelling on the Forrest Highway.
• The bushfire is stationary.
• It is contained and controlled.
WHAT TO DO:
• Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
• Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
• Read through your bushfire survival plan.
• If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
• Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
• Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
• Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
• If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
• If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
The evacuation centre at the Waroona Recreation Centre on Millar Street, Waroona is now closed.
No roads are closed.
Motorists are asked to drive with caution, avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site.
Road information may also be available by calling Main Roads WA on 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• Firefighters are patrolling the area, extinguishing hot spots and strengthening containment lines.
• The incident was reported at 11.05am Friday 12 February 2016.
• The fire has burnt approximately 10 hectares.
• The cause of the fire is suspicious
• People are asked to report any suspicious behaviour to Police Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
• The Shire of Waroona is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.dfes.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter @dfes_wa, listen to ABC local radio, or news bulletins.
The next update will be provided by 11am tomorrow, Sunday 14 February 2016 unless the situation changes.
The specified alert has expired and is no longer active.
A new alert may have been issued for this incident.
Please visit the Alerts and Warnings page for the latest information.
Disclaimer | Privacy | FOI | Copyright | Contact Us
© 2016 Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.