*Please note this alert has been upgraded.
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people near Geraldton Mount Magnet Road in the northern part of Eradu South in the City of Geraldton.
• The alert level for this fire has been upgraded.
• There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching the area and conditions are changing.
• You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
• The fire is burning in bushland near Geraldton Mount Magnet Road, the closest intersection is Eradu Road South.
• The bushfire is moving in a south westerly direction.
• it is out of control and unpredictable.
• Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home. Spot fires are starting up ahead of the fire.
WHAT TO DO:
• If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
• There is ember attack ahead of the fire, so close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
• If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
• Do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. If you have access to a water tank and plan to defend your home, start patrolling with your hose and put out spot fires.
• If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
• Your safest option may be to visit family or friends who live away from the area.
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site
A number of roads have been closed including:
• Geraldton Mount Magnet Road in both directions from Moonyoonooka Yuna Road to Mingenew Mullewa road.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• 30 career and volunteer Fire and Rescue Service and Bush Fire Service firefighters are on the scene.
• Firefighters are actively fighting the fire and building containment lines
• The incident was reported at 6.26pm 15 February 2016.
• The cause of the fire is unknown.
• The City of Geraldton is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.dfes.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter @dfes_wa, listen to ABC local radio, or news bulletins.
Updates will be provided every two hours unless the situation changes.
The specified alert has expired and is no longer active.
A new alert may have been issued for this incident.
Please visit the Alerts and Warnings page for the latest information.
Disclaimer | Privacy | FOI | Copyright | Contact Us
© 2016 Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.