*Please note this alerts has been downgraded.
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people near Geraldton Mount Magnet Road in the northern part of Eradu South in the City of Geraldton.
• The alert level for this fire has been downgraded as there is no property at risk.
• There is no threat to lives or homes but there is a lot of smoke in the area.
• Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
• The fire is burning in bushland near Geraldton Mount Magnet Road, the closest intersection is Eradu Road South.
• The bushfire is moving in an easterly direction.
• It is out of control and unpredictable.
WHAT TO DO:
• Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
• Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
• Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
• Read through your bushfire survival plan.
• If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
• Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
• Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
• Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
• If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
• If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
• Geraldton Mount Magnet Road in both directions from Moonyoonooka Yuna Road to Mingenew Mullewa road.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• 30 career and volunteer Fire and Rescue Service and Bush Fire Service firefighters are on the scene.
• Firefighters are actively fighting the fire and building containment lines
• The incident was reported at 6.26pm 15 February 2016.
• The cause of the fire is unknown.
• The City of Geraldton is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.dfes.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter @dfes_wa or listen to news bulletins.
The next update will be provided by 11am tomorrow, 17 February 2016 unless the situation changes.
The specified alert has expired and is no longer active.
A new alert may have been issued for this incident.
Please visit the Alerts and Warnings page for the latest information.
Disclaimer | Privacy | FOI | Copyright | Contact Us
© 2016 Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.