*Please note this fire has been downgraded.
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people near Howson Drive and Billabong Court in Brunswick in the Shire of Harvey.
• The alert level for this fire has been downgraded as there is no longer a threat to property.
• There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching the area and conditions are changing.
• You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
• The fire started near Forrest Highway in Brunswick.
• The bushfire is moving in a north easterly direction.
• It is out of control and unpredictable.
• Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home. Spot fires are starting ahead of the fire.
WHAT TO DO:
• If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
• There is ember attack ahead of the fire, so close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
• If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
• Do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. If you have access to a water tank and plan to defend your home, start patrolling with your hose and put out spot fires.
• If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
• Your safest option may be to visit family or friends who live away from the area.
• Leave via Howson Drive onto Clifton Road then north or south on Forrest Highway.
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site
Roads may be closed.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• Career and volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Service and Department of Parks and Wildlife firefighters with 21 appliances are on the scene.
• Firefighters are strengthening containment lines and actively fighting the fire
• Aerial support was sent to assist ground crews.
• The fire was reported at 1.13pm on 17 February 2016
• The fire is approximately 40 hectares.
• The cause of the fire is unknown
• The Shire of Harvey is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.dfes.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter @dfes_wa, listen to ABC local radio, or news bulletins.
Updates will be provided every two hours unless the situation changes.
The specified alert has expired and is no longer active.
A new alert may have been issued for this incident.
Please visit the Alerts and Warnings page for the latest information.
Disclaimer | Privacy | FOI | Copyright | Contact Us
© 2016 Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.