The following alert has been issued by the Department of Parks and Wildlife
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT remains in place for people in the vicinity of Owingup Nature Reserve, 25kms west-south-west of Denmark in the Shire of Denmark.
• There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching the area and conditions are changing.
• You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
• The fire started in the nature reserve and is burning towards private property.
Parks and Wildlife is working closely with neighbouring landowners who have been notified of the fire.
• The bushfire is moving in a north easterly direction.
• It is out of control and unpredictable.
WHAT TO DO:
• If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
• If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
• Do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. If you have access to a water tank and plan to defend your home, start patrolling with your hose and put out spot fires.
• If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
• Your safest option may be to visit family or friends who live away from the area.
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site.
RECREATION SITE CLOSURES:
No recreation sites are closed.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
Parks and Wildlife firefighters and local bushfire brigades are on the scene and are constructing containment lines. Aerial support is assisting ground crews.
• The fire was reported at 2.40pm Tuesday 1 March 2016.
• The cause of the fire is unknown.
• The Department of Parks and Wildlife is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.dpaw.wa.gov.au,www.dfes.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow Parks and Wildlife on Twitter @WAParksWildlife, listen to ABC local radio, or news bulletins.
Updates will be provided every two hours unless the situation changes.
The specified alert has expired and is no longer active.
A new alert may have been issued for this incident.
Please visit the Alerts and Warnings page for the latest information.
Disclaimer | Privacy | FOI | Copyright | Contact Us
© 2016 Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.