*Please note this has been upgraded to an Emergency Warning.
*Please note changes throughout
A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING remains for people in an area bounded by Camargue Drive, Cathedral Avenue, Rolling Hills Drive, Connemara Drive, including the Avon Ridge Estate, north to Lancewood Avenue, in Brigadoon in the City of Swan.
• The alert level for this fire has been upgraded as there has been a breakout.
• Homes in Rolling Hills Drive are under threat by fire.
• You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive. There is a threat to lives and homes.
• The fire started between Cathedral Avenue and Camargue Drive.
• The bushfire is moving fast in a north easterly direction.
• It is out of control and unpredictable.
• The breakout is burning in inaccessible terrain.
• Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home. Spot fires are starting ahead of the fire.
WHAT TO DO:
• If the way is clear, leave now for a safer place.
• Do not wait and see, leaving at the last minute is deadly.
• There is ember attack ahead of the fire, so close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
• It is not safe to stay and actively defend, your best chance for survival is to leave now.
• If you cannot leave, you need to get ready to shelter in your home and actively defend it.
• If you are not at home, it is too dangerous now to return.
• Your safest option may be to visit family or friends who live away from the area.
• Your safest route will be to leave in an easterly direction away from the fire, along Lancewood Drive if the way is clear.
PLACE OF LAST RESORT:
• If you cannot leave, shelter in your home, a safer place you can go to is a local open space, shed, swimming pool, dam or building where you may go to seek shelter from a bushfire.
• This will give you some protection from the effects of a bushfire.
• Take water, woollen blankets and wear protective clothing.
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site.
The access road to Bells Rapid has been closed.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• 80 Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Emergency Service, Bush Fire Service and Parks and Wildlife firefighters are on the scene.
• Firefighters are strengthening containment lines and fighting the fire.
• Aerial support was assisting ground crews to slow the rate of the fire but has been stood down due to low light.
• The incident was reported at 1.50pm today.
• The cause of the fire is suspicious.
• People are asked to report any suspicious behaviour to Police Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
• The city of Swan is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.dfes.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter @dfes_wa, listen to ABC local radio, 6PR or news bulletins.
Updates will be provided hourly unless the situation changes.
The specified alert has expired and is no longer active.
A new alert may have been issued for this incident.
Please visit the Alerts and Warnings page for the latest information.
Disclaimer | Privacy | FOI | Copyright | Contact Us
© 2016 Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.