*Please note the level of the alert has been downgraded
*Please note changes throughout
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people in an area bounded by Camargue Drive, Cathedral Avenue, Rolling Hills Drive, Connemara Drive, including the Avon Ridge Estate, north to Lancewood Avenue, in Brigadoon in the City of Swan.
• The alert level for this fire has been downgraded as the spread of the fire has slowed.
• There remains a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching the area and conditions are changing.
• You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
• The fire started in an area between Cathedral Avenue and Camargue Drive.
• The bushfire is not contained or controlled.
• It is burning in inaccessible terrain.
• The fire is moving slowly in a north easterly direction.
• It is burning towards Rolling Hills Drive.
• Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home. Spot fires are starting ahead of the fire.
WHAT TO DO:
• If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
• There is ember attack ahead of the fire, so close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
• If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
• Do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. If you have access to a water tank and plan to defend your home, start patrolling with your hose and put out spot fires.
• If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
• Your safest option may be to visit family or friends who live away from the area.
• Your safest route will be to leave in an easterly direction away from the fire, along Lancewood Drive if the way is clear.
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site.
The access road to Bells Rapids has been closed.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• 80 Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Emergency Service, Bush Fire Service and Parks and Wildlife firefighters are on the scene.
• Firefighters are strengthening containment lines and fighting the fire.
• Aerial support has been released but will return at first light if required.
• The fire was reported at 1.50pm today.
• The cause of the fire is suspicious.
• People are asked to report any suspicious behaviour to Police Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
• The City of Swan is managing the fire
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.dfes.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter @dfes_wa, listen to ABC local radio, 6PR or news bulletins.
Updates will be provided every two hours unless the situation changes.
The specified alert has expired and is no longer active.
A new alert may have been issued for this incident.
Please visit the Alerts and Warnings page for the latest information.
Disclaimer | Privacy | FOI | Copyright | Contact Us
© 2016 Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.