Young people can begin their association with the Western Australian (WA) emergency services as cadets.
Part of the Cadets WA program, presents secondary school students with the opportunity to follow the training and service ideals of the following emergency service groups:
Emergency Service Cadets participate in interesting and challenging training that:
- Provides practical life skills
- Develops leadership, teamwork and initiative talents
- Fosters qualities of community responsibility and service
- Radio communications
- Fire safety and basic fire lighting
- Rescue techniques
- Navigation and bushcraft
- Drill and ceremonial
- Boat and water safety
- Rescue techniques
- Counter disaster training
- Sea, search and rescue techniques
The type of training undertaken is determined by the school that hosts the cadets in consultation with local emergency services agencies and ESC units can vary widely.
All cadet units have a unit coordinator and a number of instructors to provide leadership. Leaders may be community members or often are associated with other emergency services organisations.
There are currently about 1,660 cadets and 220 adult leaders or instructors in 45 ESC units throughout Western Australia. Units vary in size from 15 to 120 members.
For more information, contact DFES's ESCC State Coordinator on (08) 9395 9716.
- Tracing our WW2 military past (FESA 24seven Magazine. Issue 2, 2012)
- Cadet experience sets life path (FESA 24seven Magazine. Issue 1, 2012)
- Cruise of courage for burns children (FESA 24seven Magazine. Issue 1, 2012)
- Quiet Lion Tour life changing for cadet (FESA 24seven Magazine. Issue 3, 2010)
- Exercise a big hit with volunteers and cadets (FESA 24seven Magazine. Issue 3, 2010)
- Cadets thrive in FESA youth programs (FESA 24seven Magazine. Issue 2, 2010)
- Cadets commemorate ANZAC day (FESA 24seven Magazine. Issue 2, 2010)
- Cadet leadership course (FESA 24seven Magazine. Issue 2, 2010)
- Cadets conquer kayaks (FESA 24seven Magazine. Issue 1, 2010)
- Cadet camp best in west (FESA 24seven Magazine. Issue 1, 2010)
- Cadets take to sea on Leeuwin II (FESA 24seven Magazine. Issue 1, 2010)