DFES - Department of Fire and Emergency Services
000 for fire or life threatening emergencies
132 500 for SES emergency assistance
13 DFES (13 3337) for emergency information
General enquiries | Hearing or speech impaired contacts
SHARE: Refer this page to a friend

What does your ESL pay for?

The Emergency Services Levy (ESL) funds the fire and emergency services to respond to building and bushfires, road crash rescue, hazardous and toxic material spills, storms, cyclones, floods, earthquakes and tsunamis, sea rescue, land and sea searches for missing persons, and cliff and cave rescues.

Specifically, the levy funds the:
Operating costs covered by the levy include running and maintenance of vehicles, vessels and facilities, personal protective equipment, operational equipment and consumables.

Capital equipment purchases include firefighting appliances, vehicles, road rescue trailers, rescue/flood boats and buildings.

The levy also funds training of volunteers, fire investigations, building inspections, community safety programs, emergency management planning and DFES's administration costs.
 What the levy does not fund:

The ESL is not used to fund the Unexploded Ordnance Unit and RAC Rescue, the State's emergency rescue helicopter service. While these services are part of DFES, they are funded by the state government, grants, sponsorship and donations. 
St John Ambulance, WA Police, Surf Life Saving Society and other like services are not funded by the levy.

 Feedback Collection

Was this information useful?