Kimberley Floods

I have been affected by the floods. Who can I talk to?

Emergency response agencies are working around the clock to respond to the worst flooding event our State has seen.

There are people you can talk to right now for support:

  • If you are at an Evacuation Centre, you can approach staff at the centre to have a chat about your situation.
  • Have a chat with Lifeline on 13 11 14 for 24/7 crisis support if you’re struggling. Visit the Lifeline website for resources.
  • If you require relocation assistance, call the State Emergency Service on 132 500.
  • In an emergency call 000. For emergency relief and support call the Department of Communities’ Disaster Response Hotline on 1800 032 965 (9am – 4pm).
  • For mental health help in Fitzroy Crossing call 9166 1700. For Derby, call 9193 3605. For assistance after hours, call Rurallink on 1800 552 002.
Clean Up
Health Advice
Medical Treatment
Food and Medicine

What assistance is available to help me?

The Department of Communities is providing a range of support services to assist impacted residents such as food and accommodation.

For emergency relief and support call the Department of Communities’ Disaster Response Hotline on 1800 032 965 (9am – 4pm).

Services Australia has announced the availability of two payments for people affected by the floods. A one-off Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is available to eligible residents in Derby/West-Kimberley who have been directly affected. $1,000 per adult and $400 per child will be available for eligible applicants.

A Disaster Recovery Allowance may also be available for employees or sole traders who have lost work due to the flooding. For instructions on how to apply for this financial assistance, visit Services Australia.

You can also call the Australian Government Emergency Information Line on 180 22 66, between 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday.

What are emergency services doing to help?

Rapid Damage Assessment teams have completed their assessment of the damage – there has been a total of 417 assessments.

We are continuing to coordinate the return of displaced residents to their homes and communities where it is safe to do so.

DFES has started the notification process for impacted homes. As part of this notification process DFES will work closely with the Department of Communities and the relevant Community Leaders.

We understand residents want to get home as soon as possible but we need to know the extent of the damage and make sure that everything is safe first.

Once the full extent of damage is known to your home, you will be contacted directly on the next steps to take.

Large scale resupplies continue to take place daily across the Kimberley by air and road where possible.  

Australian Defence Force Aircraft, DFES and local contractor aircraft are facilitating the movement of resupplies, response personnel and support agencies.

Community members are being transported back to communities when areas are deemed safe. It is a priority to return people to country as soon as it is safe to do so.

Multiple agencies are working together to support the flood operations.  

A multi-agency clean-up crew, comprised of DFES staff and volunteers and Australian Defence Force personnel has mobilised to the region to start the recovery effort and make impacted areas safe.

DPIRD (Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development) are providing stock feed to affected areas and addressing animal welfare concerns.

How can I help the people impacted by the floods?

Make a donation

You can donate to the Lord Mayor’s Distress Relief Fund – Kimberley Floods Appeal. It is Western Australia’s official state emergency fund. All the money raised goes directly to those in need. Donations can be made online at Current Appeals – Lord Mayor’s Distress Relief Fund (

Register your interest as a volunteer

You can register your interest with Volunteering WA. Your details will then be passed to organisations who may offer you a volunteer opportunity when one arises.

Help such as delivering supplies, providing essential transport, social support and visits, household maintenance and welfare checks may be needed for this emergency.

Find out more and register your interest here:


GIVIT is working with the Western Australia Government to manage donation offers during recovery from these floods. Donating through GIVIT means community members will receive exactly what they need. Head to GIVIT to see what items are in need of donation – or donate funds to go towards items needed.

Stay up to date

If you are in the Kimberley, you can also help by keeping up to date with the alerts and warnings as there is still risk of increased rainfall and flooding over coming days.  You need to stay vigilant and keep up to date via Emergency WA, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter, Facebook, listen to ABC Local Radio, 6PR, or news bulletins.

More Information

Prepare for a flood

Find out about preparing your flood plan and steps you can take to reduce the impact and damage from floodwaters.

Learn more

During a flood

There are a number of things you can do to keep your property and belongings safe.

Learn more

Recovering from a flood

Find out what to expect after a flood and what action you can take to recover.

Learn more