People in the Kimberley between Mitchell Plateau and Wyndham need to get ready for a possible cyclone.
If you live in the town of Wyndham or communities of Oombulgurri, Kalumburu and Faraway Bay, know what you need to do with the development of a Tropical Low off the Western Australian coast.
Remember that preparing your home and family for a cyclone is your responsibility.
FESA’s State Emergency Service (SES) advises you to:
· Review your family cyclone plan and make sure
everyone knows what to do.
· Prepare your home inside and out.
· Organise an emergency kit with a portable battery
operated radio, torch, spare batteries and first aid
· Know the community cyclone alert system and the
steps that must be taken for each.
Community alerts will be issued by FESA if the cyclone comes closer.
There are four stages of alerts – Blue, Yellow, Red and All Clear.
· BLUE ALERT means prepare for dangerous
· YELLOW ALERT means take action and get ready
to go to shelter.
· RED ALERT means go to shelter immediately.
· ALL CLEAR means that wind and storm surge
dangers have passed but you need to take care to
avoid the dangers caused by damage.
· People needing SES assistance can call 132 500.
· In a life threatening situation call 000.
· For weather information visit www.bom.gov.au or call
1300 659 210.
For more cyclone safety tips visit www.fesa.wa.gov.au
Media Contact: Media and Public Affairs, 9225 5955.