FESA Chief Executive Officer Jo Harrison-Ward said that the severity of the damage caused by Severe TC Laurence, which crossed the Pilbara coast as a Category 5 on Monday 21 December, met the criteria to be declared an ‘Eligible Natural Disaster’ for the purposes of the Western Australia Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (WANDRRA).
The local government districts affected by Severe TC Laurence and the associated flooding include:
- Shire of Wyndham/East Kimberley
- Shire of Derby/West Kimberley
- Shire of Broome
- Town of Port Hedland
- Shire of East Pilbara
- Shire of Ngaanyatjarraku
WANDRRA is administered by FESA, with assistance from other agencies, and provides help to people who have suffered the direct impact of a declared natural disaster.
Assistance through WANDRRA may be available for:
· Primary producers - freight costs and cost of materials for boundary fences abutting major roads, professional advice grants and interest rate subsidies.
· Local governments - to clean up, repair and restore essential public assets including local roads.
· Businesses – interest rate subsidies on loans approved by Authorised Deposit Taking Institutions.
· Individuals and families – personal hardship and distress grants.
To apply for assistance or for more information contact the following agencies:
· Primary producers: Department of Agriculture and Food - www.agric.wa.gov.au or 1800 198 231
· Local government: Main Roads Regional Office – Kimberley Region (08) 9168 4777 or Pilbara Region on (08) 9172 8877.
· Individuals and families: Department for Child Protection - 1800 032 965
· Small Business and other enquiries: WANDRRA Administrator (08) 9323 9552, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.fesa.wa.gov.au