Severe fire danger advice for Goldfields and Interior on Wednesday
The Bureau of Meteorology has forecast a Severe Fire Danger Rating for Wednesday 30 December for parts of the Goldfields and Interior.
This includes the western parts of the city of Kalgoorlie-Boulder and the Shires of:
• Sandstone • Dundas (western part)
• Laverton (western part)
• Menzies (western part)
• Wiluna (lower part)
This includes the Shires of:
• East Pilbara
• Wiluna (eastern part) • Halls Creek
• Menzies (eastern part)
Keep up to date with fire information through local radio, websites and TV. Do not wait for an emergency warning before you act. Your safest option for survival is away from the fire. If you see flames call triple zero.
If a fire starts:
• It will be unpredictable, difficult to control and move very fast.
• Embers will be blown around your home causing other fires.
• Spot fires may start ahead of the main fire.
• Only very well prepared, well constructed and actively defended homes may offer any degree of safety.
If you live within 100 metres of bushland:
• It is safest to leave early if a fire starts, that is hours before a fire reaches you, put your survival first.
• Put your bushfire survival plan into action.
• Only stay and defend your home if it is well prepared, well constructed and you can actively defend it. If you are in doubt about defending your home, leave.
To find out how to prepare your property, how to develop a bushfire survival plan and what the Fire Danger Rating means to you visit www.fesa.wa.gov.au or call 9323 9300 during normal office hours.
Check the Fire Danger Rating for your area by visiting www.bom.gov.au or call 1900 955 366 (call charges apply).