An extreme fire danger warning has been issued for today for the Shires of Broome and Derby-West Kimberley.
People in the area should:
- keep up to date with fire information through local radio, websites and TV
- not light fires including barbeques in the open
- be prepared for a fire if it does start and threaten you
- call triple zero (000) if you see flames
A fire is currently burning on Blina Station near Fitzroy Crossing that is causing a lot of smoke on the Noonkanbah access road.
Your best option for survival is to keep away from the fire.
Motorists travelling on North West Coastal Highway need to be extremely careful while travelling through smoke affected areas
If the road is smokey motorists should:
- Turn headlights on to make your vehicle more visible to others
- Drive slowly
- Keep a close watch for firefighters and emergency service vehicles on the road
- Always follow any directions given by emergency service personnel
- If you cannot see clearly pull over to the side of the road, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
Firefighters are unable to get to the fire at this stage because it is so remote but they are monitoring it and planning strategies to contain it.
The fire has burnt through 50,000 hectares since it started three days ago.
To report any suspicious behaviour call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.