Dumbleyung residents are continuing with the recovery process following a violent storm that damaged parts of the town earlier this week.
The damage bill from Tuesday’s storm was estimated to be at least $1.5 million.
SES volunteers from Narrogin and Albany yesterday completed the task of making temporary repairs to 31 buildings, fixing minor roof damage and removing fallen trees from homes, cars and fences. This included 18 homes.
They were supported by local volunteer Fire and Rescue Service and Bush Fire Service firefighters, WA Police, council workers and a FESA incident management team.
The Dumbleyung Primary School lost half its roof during the storm, the local hotel and an engineering workshop were severely damaged and tin was blown from the roof of the local bowls club.
The Shire of Dumbleyung will now help residents and business owners to clean up and coordinate any further recovery requirements.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
If you have been affected by the storm you should:
Have a good look around your property.
· Look at your roof for dislodged tiles, loose tin or flashings that have been damaged.
· Look at your trees for damaged branches. If they are hanging dangerously do not walk under them.
· Check your fencing for damage. If your fence is made of asbestos do not go near it or handle it. An approved contractor will need to do this.
· If your property has been damaged contact your insurance company straight away. They will be able tell you when you can start repair work to your property.
· If you need tradespeople to visit you in the town to carry out work on your property contact the Shire before you proceed. Through a coordinated approach you may be able to save money on travel and other costs associated with hiring tradespeople as other residents may also require similar work.
· Contact the Shire if you require any further assistance.
PROVIDING A HELPING HAND
If you can offer help to other people in Dumbleyung please call the Shire to coordinate this.
SPECIAL RUBBISH PICK UP
There will a green waste and rubbish collection on Friday 19 February from early morning. Please have your rubbish on your verge by this date.
The Shire of Dumbleyung is now managing recovery efforts.
- Shire of Dumbleyung (office hours) 9863 4012
- If you have an urgent enquiry after hours you can call the Recovery Coordinator on 0428 227 000.