Severe fire danger advice for Goldfields and Eucla for remainder of Friday 2 April and Saturday 3 April
The Bureau of Meteorology has forecast a Severe Fire Danger Rating for the remainder of Friday 2 April and Saturday 3 April 2010 for the Goldfields and Eucla. This includes:
City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder local government area (western and eastern parts)
Shire of Coolgardie
Shire of Dundas (western and eastern parts)
Shire of Laverton (south west corner)
Shire of Leonora
Shire of Menzies (central part)
Shire of Sandstone (part adjacent to Leonora Shire)
Shire of Wiluna (south west corner)
Keep up to date with fire information through local radio, websites and TV. Do not wait for an emergency warning before you act. Your safest option for survival is away from the fire. If you see flames call triple zero.
If a fire starts:
- It will be unpredictable, difficult to control and move very fast.
- Embers will be blown around your home causing other fires.
- Spot fires may start ahead of the main fire.
If you live near bush with high fuel loads then your bushfire risk is increased:
- It is safest to leave early if a fire starts, that is hours before a fire reaches you - put your survival first.
- Put your bushfire survival plan into action.
- Only stay and defend your home if it is well prepared, well constructed and you can actively defend it. If you are in doubt about defending your home, leave.
To find out how to prepare your property, how to develop a bushfire survival plan and what the Fire Danger Rating means to you visit www.fesa.wa.gov.au or call 9323 9300 during normal office hours.
Check the Fire Danger Rating for your area by visiting www.bom.gov.au or call 1900 955 366 (call charges apply).
Media Contact: Media and Public Affairs, 9225 5955.