Kambalda Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service firefighters are helping people in Kambalda West in the Goldfields clean up after a storm caused localised flooding.
The Bureau of Meteorology advises Kambalda had 77 millimetres of rain last night which has run into the town and reached around waist height.
Around 20 homes have been flooded in Kambalda West on Saltbush Road, Pittosporum Street and Grevillea Crescent.
Kambalda VFRS firefighters have been busy since 6.40am assessing damage and making sure people have turned off their electricity. They have been supported by Kalgoorlie SES volunteers and local Shire personnel.
The flood waters have started to recede but more thunderstorms are expected this afternoon.
· Watch for changes in water levels in case they rise quickly and you need to act.
· Never walk, swim or play in receding floodwaters because they are dangerous.
· Assess your home for damage.
· Start cleaning up around your home and stack loose material away from water metres, valves and telephone lines.
· Keep electricity and all appliances turned off until they can be checked by an electrician.
· Clean and inspect gas appliances before use.
· Throw away all food or medication that may have been contaminated by the floodwaters.
· Take photos of any damage for insurance purposes.
If driving, take extra take care in areas that have been flooded and do not drive into water of unknown depth and current.
The following roads have been closed:
· Quandong road
· Pittosporum Street
· Ptilotus Crescent
Further clarification should be sought from WA Police or the local Shire.
· If you need assistance call the Kambalda FRS on 0419 043 253 or the SES on 132 500.
· In a life threatening situation call 000.
· For the latest weather information visit www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 210.
· For more information about recovering after a flood visit www.fesa.wa.gov.au