An aerial controlled burning ADVICE has been issued for people in the East Kimberley this week on stations near Halls Creek, Kununurra
and Gibb River Road.
Starting Wednesday burning will occur at:
- Sophie Downs Station (Halls Creek) on Wednesday 05 May 2010.
- Carlton Hill and Ivanhoe Stations (Kununurra) on Thursday 06 May.
- Karunjie, Pentecost, Durack and Home Valley Stations (west of Kununurra on the Gibb River Road) on Friday 07 May.
People need to be extremely careful when driving through the affected areas.
If you come across smoke on the road you should:
- Turn your headlights on to make your vehicle more visible to others
- Drive slowly
- Keep a close watch for and follow any directions given by emergency services personnel
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over to the side of the road, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears
· People with respiratory conditions who have been affected by smoke should contact their local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
· People do not need to ring 000 to report controlled burning fires unless they believe homes or lives are under threat.
ABOUT AERIAL CONTROLLED BURNS:
FESA in partnership with Local Government and pastoralists undertake controlled burning to reduce the risks of severe late season wildfires from spreading. This helps to protect the environment, ecosystems, life and property.