DFES - Department of Fire and Emergency Services
000 for fire or life threatening emergencies
132 500 for SES emergency assistance
13 DFES (13 3337) for emergency information
General enquiries | Hearing or speech impaired contacts
SHARE: Refer this page to a friend

Media Release

Natural disaster relief available for parts of the Great Southern
Friday 9 December 2011 – 5:05 PM

Disaster assistance may be available to those affected by the severe thunderstorms and associated  flooding to parts of the Great Southern causing damage to local roads on Thursday 3 November 2011.

Emergency Services Minister Troy Buswell said payments, which are jointly funded by the Federal and Western Australian governments and administered through WA Government agencies, will help councils and communities recover from this disaster as quickly as possible.  
“Councils affected by the storms in the Great Southern region will have access to a range of infrastructure repair, counter disaster operations and clean-up assistance through the WANDRRA,” Mr Buswell said.
The local government districts affected by the storms include:
·         City of Albany
·         Shire of Denmark
·         Shire of Dumbleyung
·         Shire of Narrogin
·         Shire of Wagin
·         Shire of West Arthur
WANDRRA is administered by FESA, with assistance from other agencies, and provides help to people who have suffered the direct impact of a declared natural disaster.


The assistance is jointly funded by the Commonwealth and Western Australian Governments.
Assistance through WANDRRA may be available for:
·         Primary producers – freight costs and restoration of boundary fences (where public safety is at risk), professional advice grants and interest rate subsidies.
·         Local Governments and State Government Agencies – to clean up, repair and restore essential public assets including local roads. 
·         Small businesses – interest rate subsidies on loans approved by Authorised Deposit Taking Institutions.
·         Individuals and families – personal hardship and distress grants.
To apply for assistance or for more information contact the following agencies:


·      Primary producers: Department of Agriculture and Food - www.agric.wa.gov.au or 1800 198 231
·      Local government: Main Roads Albany Office (Great Southern) 9892 0555


·      Individuals and families: Department for Child Protection - 1800 032 965
·      Small Business and other enquiries:  WANDRRA Administrator (08) 9323 9552, email: wandrra@fesa.wa.gov.au or visit www.fesa.wa.gov.au



 Your feedback on this content is appreciated

Was this information useful?