DFES - Department of Fire and Emergency Services
000 for fire or life threatening emergencies
132 500 for SES emergency assistance
13 DFES (13 3337) for emergency information
General enquiries | Hearing or speech impaired contacts
SHARE: Refer this page to a friend

Media Release

Natural disaster relief available following southern flooding
Tuesday 10 July 2012 – 1:10 PM

Disaster assistance may be available through the Western Australia Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (WANDRRA) to communities along the southern coast of the State that were affected by heavy rainfall and subsequent flooding on 31 May.

Emergency Services Minister Troy Buswell said the assistance measures would help local governments and communities recover from the damage as quickly as possible.

“This event has been proclaimed an eligible disaster under the WANDRRA,” Mr Buswell said.

“This funding assistance will help affected councils and communities recover from this damage as quickly as possible.”

The local government districts affected include:
• City of Albany
• Shire of Denmark
• Shire of Jerramungup
• Shire of Manjimup

Current assessments have indicated the major damage and costs will be associated with repair and restoration of the local and state road network along with clean-up of local and state government owned property.

WANDRRA is jointly funded by the Federal and Western Australian governments and administered by FESA, with assistance from other agencies.

Assistance through WANDRRA, subject to eligibility, may be available for:
• Primary producers – freight costs, materials for boundary fences (where public safety is at risk), professional advice grants and interest rate subsidies on ‘new’ loans approved by an Authorised Deposit-taking Institution (ADI).
• Local Governments and State Government Agencies – certain clean-up activities, repair and restore essential public assets including local roads. 
• Small businesses – interest rate subsidies on ‘new’ loans approved by an ADI.
• Individuals and families – personal hardship and distress grants.

To apply for assistance or for more information contact the following agencies:
• Primary producers: Department of Agriculture and Food - http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/PC_92634.html?s=1282300173 or 1800 198 231
• Local government: Main Roads WA -
http://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/AboutMainRoads/ContactUs/Pages/ContactUs.aspx or 138 138.
• Individuals and families: Department for Child Protection – http://www.dcp.wa.gov.au/Organisation/ContactUs/Pages/ContactUs.aspx or 1800 032 965
• Small Business and other enquiries:  WANDRRA Administrator (08) 9323 9552, email: wandrra@fesa.wa.gov.au or visit www.fesa.wa.gov.au


 Your feedback on this content is appreciated

Was this information useful?