Committed firefighters finalists in prestigious awards
Career and volunteer firefighters who have demonstrated an exceptional commitment to protecting the community will be recognised at the 2013 Firefighting Awards.
Eleven firefighters have been named as finalists for the four awards that recognise devotion to duty, courage in the line of duty, contribution beyond normal expectations and achievement in community education.
Fire and Emergency Services Commissioner Wayne Gregson said the community was fortunate to have such a dedicated group of career and volunteer firefighters.
“Working in emergency services is already a demanding and dangerous challenge, but this year’s finalists have proven they are willing to go the extra mile for the community,” Commissioner Gregson said.
“Career and volunteer firefighters provide a wide range of services and support to the local community from structure fires, road crash rescues, battling bushfires, and providing valuable education on community safety.
“Firefighters chose to serve in a profession that requires selflessness, resilience and perseverance, and the awards are an opportunity to thank all our firefighters for their service.”
The 2013 Firefighting Awards finalists include firefighters who have dedicated time and acted bravely during dangerous and difficult emergency incidents including the Shady Hills bushfire in Bullsbrook in February this year and the Toodyay bushfire in 2010.
Others have been nominated for their roles in providing support to young people affected by fire, educating the community on fire safety, and helping communities recover after incidents such as road crashes and major bushfires.
The Awards will be presented at a ceremony in September.
2013 Firefighting Awards Finalists are:
WA Career Fire and Rescue Service Award
• John Landwehr, DFES Air Operations
• Ross Kitson, Armadale Fire and Rescue Service
WA Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service Award
• Travis Hutchinson and Warren Hatt, Carnarvon Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service
• Darren Smith, Wagin Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service
• Shane Munro, Coolgardie Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service
Murray Lang Bush Fire Service of WA Award
• John Matten, Molloy Island Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade
• David Hasted, Ivanhoe Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade
• Derek Jones, Chidlow Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade
Youth Achievement Award
• Rik Mills, Baldivis Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade
• Matthew Bartels, Morangup Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade
• Paul Munro, Coolgardie Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service
Media Contact: Media and Public Affairs on 9225 5955.