DFES - Department of Fire and Emergency Services
000 for fire or life threatening emergencies
132 500 for SES emergency assistance
13 DFES (13 3337) for emergency information
General enquiries | Hearing or speech impaired contacts
SHARE: Refer this page to a friend

Media Release

New restricted burning periods in place for April
Tuesday 31 March 2020 – 12:20 PM

Land owners in the southern half of the State who plan to burn on their properties in April will need to obtain a permit from their Local Government.

As of tomorrow, 1 April 2020, new Restricted Burning Times will come into effect for all 129 Local Governments from the Midwest Gascoyne through to the Great Southern.

The new timeframe extends through to 30 April 2020. 

Residents in Local Government areas that planned to cease their Prohibited Burning Time on 30 April 2020 are unaffected by the changes.

Fire and Emergency Services Commissioner Darren Klemm AFSM said in these uncertain times the new timeframe would help reduce the potential of out of control burns for volunteer firefighters.

“We are still in the grips of an active bushfire season, and this risk is not likely to ease for a number of weeks,” Commissioner Klemm said.

“Over the past two years fire crews have faced significant bushfires across southern WA at this time of year, many of which were caused by private burns that got out of control.”

Commissioner Klemm said by obtaining a permit, and therefore registering burning intentions with Local Government, land owners would be helping their communities easily and quickly identify fire activities in their area.

“These restrictions mean Local Governments can ensure land owners who need to undertake burns, such as those in the agricultural sector for primary production purposes, can continue to do so while not putting unnecessary pressure on our firefighters,” he said.

Dependent on the circumstances of the offence, land owners who undertake burning without the required permit can face fines of up to $10,000.

For more information about obtaining a permit, contact your Local Government.

Media Contact: DFES Media and Corporate Communications 9395 9543​


 Your feedback on this content is appreciated

Was this information useful?