Your evaporative air conditioning unit can catch fire from embers coming
through from bushfires or even small back yard fires that can happen in your
If a fire starts in your air conditioner, it can spread quickly throughout
If there is smoke nearby, you should:
- Run the air conditioner to wet the filter pads
- When smoke is over your home or ash starts to drop around
your house, switch the air conditioner off
- If the unit can run water over the filter with the fan
turned off, continue to do so
- If the water can’t be run on its own, or if there is a power
failure at the time, wet the air conditioner filter pads using a
- Keep checking your air conditioner and the area around your
home for spot fires from embers until the danger has passed
If embers get into the roof space of your home, it can be difficult for
firefighters to put the fire out.
Knowing what to do to keep your evaporative air conditioner safe from fire
can help save your property.
If your home does catch fire leave your home and call
Triple Zero (000) immediately.
factsheet is also available in the following languages:|