If a fire starts in your home you need to be able to escape quickly and as safely as possible.
It’s important to make sure security doors can be unlocked quickly from the inside.
Household fire safety and security tips:
- External doors should be well constructed with a solid centre, quality deadlocks with the same key to all doors
- Keyed slide bolts for glass, sliding doors
- Security screen doors need to conform to AS2803
- Leave a key in the deadlock when at home as long as it cannot be seen from outside. If the lock is visible from the outside, locate the key in a secure place nearby so you can make a quick exit
- Install approved window locks and security window screens to AS4604
- Use safety film applied to the glass or laminated glass
- Install external roller shutters
- Use an alarm system that conforms to AS2201 and ensure it is installed by a licensed installer and connected to smoke alarms.
- DFES recommends installing 240 volt mains powered photo-electric smoke alarms by a qualified electrician