When you are asleep you lose your sense of smell. A working smoke alarm is your electronic nose and will alert you if there is smoke from a fire.
A working smoke alarm could save your life.
A small fire can engulf an entire home in five minutes. A working smoke alarm will warn you if a fire starts in your home, giving your family precious minutes to escape.
Did you know?
- Smoke alarms need to be tested monthly to make sure they are working.
- Smoke alarms must be cleaned regularly to remove dust and cobwebs.
- All smoke alarms, regardless of type and power source, need to be completely replaced every 10 years.
- Smoke alarms should be located in all sleeping areas and in all paths of travel between sleeping areas and exits to the open air.
- DFES recommends a mains-powered photoelectric smoke alarm.