DFES - Department of Fire and Emergency Services
000 for fire or life threatening emergencies
132 500 for SES emergency assistance
13 DFES (13 3337) for emergency information
General enquiries | Hearing or speech impaired contacts
SHARE: Refer this page to a friend

Bushfire Mitigation Grants

National Bushfire Mitigation Program – Are You Ready? grants

Grant applications for the 2016-17 financial year open on Tuesday 1 March 2016 and close 4pm Friday 1 April 2016

The Are You Ready? grants are aimed at enhancing bushfire risk mitigation throughout the state.

They are funded through the National Bushfire Mitigation Programme (NBMP), which is a partnership between the Western Australian (WA) and Commonwealth Governments.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) is responsible for distributing funds in WA via an open competitive grants process.

Funds are available for bushfire works, measures and related activities, focusing on the following priority areas:

  1. Reduce fuel loads by creating effective land management strategies
  2. Construction or maintenance of fire trails and associated measures
  3. Implementation of cost-effective activities that reduce the impact of severe bushfires, and promote community resilience
  4. Generation of scientific information (including hazard mapping) to develop best-practice strategies

Grants recipients must show:

  1. Implementation of cost-effective activities
  2. Clear link to bushfire mitigation outcomes
  3. Completion of, or progress towards completion of, a Bushfire Risk Mitigation Plan (BRMP)

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

  1. Confirm eligibility with the Quick Eligibility Check
  2. Familiarise yourself with the Guidelines for Applicants and Sample Funding Agreement
  3. Complete the Application Form
  4. Print, sign and scan the Declaration
  5. Send the declaration and application to nbmp@dfes.wa.gov.au

When do applications close?

Applications close at 4pm on Friday 1 April 2016 (no late applications will be accepted)

My agency is not incorporated but we wish to apply for funding. How do we do this?

You will need to be auspiced by an eligible organisation. The eligible organisation will need to be the applicant and if successful, will be responsible for receiving, managing the funds and acquitting the grant.

I am not sure if my project is eligible. How do I find out?

Check your project and organisation for eligibility using the Quick Eligibility Check. If you are still unsure, please call DFES to discuss.

What are in-kind contributions?

In-kind contributions are non-cash inputs which can be given a cash value. The in-kind contributions to a project can only be for costs directly associated with an approved project and cannot be used for core or business-as-usual activities.

What criteria will you use to allocate grants?

Projects will be prioritised from 1 (highest) to 5 according to the following criteria:

  1. Implementation of effective and sustainable land management activities resulting in strategic fuel reduction, and/or the construction and maintenance of fire trails and associated access measures, adjacent to high risk communities and in accordance with a completed BRMP
  2. As above for areas in which a BRMP has not been completed but the following principles are met:
    a.    substantial progress towards the completion of a BRMP, or a high priority for completion, must be demonstrated
    b.    in addition, for lands managed by public authorities, a relevant management plan approved by that public authority must be in place
  3. Works such as bushfire hazard mapping, the development of bushfire mitigation strategies and community resilience activities to progress a BRMP towards completion for high risk areas
  4. Community resilience activities, without any implementation of on-ground works and/or connection to completing a BRMP
  5. The generation of scientific information, without any implementation of on-ground works and/or connection to completing a BRMP

Our organisation needs a new generator (or any asset) - is this eligible?

No. The purchase of assets or infrastructure will not be funded.

I have a multi-agency project that requires funding. How much can I ask for?

Please contact DFES to discuss your application if you will be requesting more than $50,000. Applications greater than $50,000 will only be considered if your project has multi-agency support.

Can I get assistance to complete my application?

Yes. Please contact DFES on 08 9395 9836. Please note that the DFES staff cannot complete the application for you, however they can certainly assist.

We wish to submit a joint application. Whose name do we use?

You will need to select one applicant to be the primary contact. This organisation will be responsible for accepting and managing the grant funds and be responsible for acquitting the grant.

I do not have access to a scanner. How do I complete the declaration?

You may post the declaration to:

A/Superintendent EM and Hazard Planning
Department of Fire and Emergency Services
GPO Box P1174
Alternatively, most local libraries can scan documents for you (a fee may apply).


Does my project have to be completed by the end of the financial year?

No. But the project does have to be completed by 15 December 2017.

My project is sensitive in nature. If I am successful, will it have to be publicised?

No. If your project is of a sensitive nature please contact DFES to advise.

When will I be notified if my grant application has been successful?

Following the evaluation of all applications by the selection panel the recommendations will be forwarded to the NBMP steering committee. The recommendations will be reviewed and applicants will be advised of the outcome within two (2) working days following the decision-making process (where practicable). In the event of excessive delays applicants will be advised.

The timeframes for my project have changed. How do I request a variation?

Any variation must be requested in writing.

I submitted an application and have realised there are errors. Can I edit the application?

Your application can only be edited if you send an updated application prior to the closing date and time. You will need to contact DFES to advise if you are replacing an old application with a new one.

Your contact details may be updated at any time - please contact DFES to make changes.

If you need to make amendments to the budget please contact DFES to advise of the change.

My application was not successful. How do I get feedback?

You may seek feedback from DFES.

Who can I contact for more information?

Please call DFES on 08 9395 99836 or email nbmp@dfes.wa.gov.au.



 Feedback Collection

Was this information useful?