Home Fire Safety
Accidental fires can occur in any home and can be devastating for those involved.
But the good news is: you can prevent this from happening to you.
Follow these simple steps to help keep you and your family safe this winter:
- Always stay alert when using anything that may catch alight or start a fire.
- Don't overload powerboards, keep them free of dust and don't put items on top of them.
- Stay warm safely by keeping all items at least one metre from a heat source.
- Regularly clean the lint from your clothes dryer.
- Take care when cooking and never leave a stove unattended – many home fires start in the kitchen.
- Be careful with candles and wood fires, and do not leave children unattended near heat sources.
- Have a home fire escape plan and ensure your family knows what to do when a fire starts.
- If a fire starts in your home, leave immediately and call 000.
- Remember, do not re-enter a burning house under any circumstances.