Only working smoke alarms save lives.
Each year home fires cause millions of dollars in damage, destroy homes and can be deadly.
A working smoke alarm will warn you if a fire starts in your home, giving you more time to escape safely.
Early detection also gives firefighters the best chance of saving your home.
Did you know?
- Smoke alarms need to be tested monthly to make sure they are working.
- Smoke alarms must be cleaned regularly to remove dust and cobwebs.
- All smoke alarms, regardless of type and power source, need to be completely replaced every 10 years.
- Smoke alarms should be located in all sleeping areas and in all paths of travel between sleeping areas and exits to the open air.
- DFES recommends a mains powered photoelectric smoke alarm.